Question:
Parcelforce "AWAITING CUSTOMS CHARGING"?
delicate hearts,
2009-07-12 14:54:26 UTC
Ordered a few goods from china, and just checked the Parcelforce site and it says my parcel is "awaiting customs charging"
What does this mean? Do I have to pay additional charges for my package coming into the UK? Altogether, it was £59 what I paid, so how much do you reckon I have to pay, if i do!? Thanks!
Nine answers:
Mark J
2009-07-12 15:04:13 UTC
as a minimum you will have to pay VAT + the cost of parcelforce collecting that amount..

depending on the goods there may also be customs duty levieid on certain types of goods

so offhand I reckon you will probably have to pay somewhere between £15 and £30

the goods will not be dispatched until they have received payment.

you can get round it if the the itesm are indeed a gift, and below a certain threshold. however if the revenue suspect you are taking the pish they may open the parcel to find out if indeed it is a gift. if not then you and your parcel get to meet lots of interesting people
fatheree
2016-09-29 02:56:10 UTC
Awaiting Customs Charging
2009-07-15 03:20:36 UTC
at £59 altogether, i assume including p&p, then it'll be just vat at 15% since the value falls under the import duty taxable threshold of £105.

the carriers though seem to charge whatever they like. had one admin fee or 'customs clearance fee' as they call it....(so i ended up giving some poor customs advice officer some grief wrongfully.) from parcelforce once for £1.50, 2 months later, a cheaper item cost me £8 from parcelforce! the vat was only like, £5!
ilka
2016-12-30 20:03:30 UTC
Parcelforce Pay Charges
2009-07-12 15:07:18 UTC
Agent is right, it's a risk you take when buying items from overseas that you may be charged import duty. It won't be a huge amount of money but it could cost you another £30.

If you're lucky they'll just wave it through as a low-value item but you'll just have to wait and see if a bill arrives.
2009-07-13 04:46:47 UTC
This is the danger of buying directly from China - import duty can be quite high and this added to delivery charges makes your bargain quite expensive.
2016-04-11 09:52:20 UTC
For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axRjr

You'll get a card through the door with the amount you need to pay. Not even worth trying to bypass The System, unless your local sorting office is a lot more efficient than ours!
Lily H
2009-07-12 15:00:03 UTC
you will have to pay a charge when you pick the item up - import duty or something like that. next time you order from abroad ask them to mark it as 'gift' then you dont pay any charges.
agent4927
2009-07-12 15:02:11 UTC
You will need to pay a customs clearance fee - used to be £16.50 plus any VAT and duty depending on what the goods are.